Latter Day Saint Culture

This week our class topic was on LDS culture. I personally chose to focus on LDS belief of death since I was curious to see what scholars wrote. I am LDS so this was a unique experience in the sense that I read about my culture in a non-religious text. I enjoyed it and found it insightful to see how others view my beliefs. It made me more aware and curious as to what I really do find to be truth in my life.

LDS religion teaches that there is life after death, we will be in physical bodies again due to Christ’s resurrection, and families can be together forever. Today I’m celebrating the 48th birthday of my Father-in-Law, who passed away in November of 2013. I grew up with him as a father figure in my life and miss him terribly. I think that’s why I love the LDS belief of life after death so much because I can’t bear the thought of never seeing him again. I also love to know that he’ll be my family forever!

When thinking about patients who will either face death or families who will lose loved ones, I know that my religion is important to me when it comes to those aspects of life. Reading about my own beliefs made me more sensitive to what others might feel towards death. I want to be as sensitive and as accepting of their beliefs as I hope others would be towards mine. I think being the nurse that openly accepts important beliefs on topics such as death is important because one way or another we’ll be faced with this situation and we’ll be responsible for promoting the most therapeutic environment we can.